GOOD GRRRL BANDS - BLEACHED
I love me some punk & roll. I like it even better when it’s played by (mostly) ladies, and I can’t think of a band doing a cooler, poutier job of catchy, sunkissed melody-led guitar music right now than LA’s Bleached. They write music to soundtrack driving down Sunset in your vintage convertible eating fruit flavoured ice pops and dribbling the juice down your chin whilst singing along to The Ramones on the cassette player. Ergo, they rule.
I have been super lucky to catch them live twice (both shows were EXTREME FUN), and I was even luckier to talk to Jessie from the band about Suzi Quatro, why female music fans rule and a ton of other cool stuff thrown in for good measure.
Having a musical influence is really important to us while writing a song. It helps you have a direction and also Jen and I can communicate….. When one of us has a certain band or song we’re thinking of, its helps to then both be on the same page with the song. I don’t really consciously think about the combination with a feminine edge, I think the feminine edge just comes from our other influences of female punk bands or female singers like The Slits, Blondie, Siouxsie etc.
Our first shows were places like Cobalt Cafe or American Legion Hall in the San Fernando Valley that were smaller venues, but our venues started expanding through seeing flyers for shows in orange county so we would go out there….. We were kind of addicted to shows. I was still in high school and that’s why I feel like I went to so many shows, because it didn’t feel clique-y like high school did. When I was younger playing our first shows, I totally remember feeling slightly intimidated by some “dudes” but I feel like some of it was how you present your self…. Now that I am older and feel way more confident I really don’t feel alienated or any kind of wall between sexes. Not to say that it never happens, I just don’t let it happen.
Bleached’s debut full length Ride Your Heart is out now and it rocks so hard. Please go listen to it.
LAUREN OUT XOXOXO
photo credit: me!
- tangybarpat likes this
- thismodrnlove reblogged this from riotgrrrlsnotdead
- sheepdragging reblogged this from riotgrrrlsnotdead
- qwillmode likes this
- herekitty likes this
- elodieblackwood likes this
- space-echo likes this
- dream-rebel reblogged this from better-trends
- better-trends reblogged this from totallyvintage
- artemispistoute likes this
- pitsw3at reblogged this from riotgrrrlsnotdead
- satansaidance likes this
- jamieshambles reblogged this from riotgrrrlsnotdead
- ohwinston reblogged this from rebeccadoppelmeyer
- ohwinston likes this
- rebeccadoppelmeyer reblogged this from jet-punk
- sassygrrls reblogged this from riotgrrrlsnotdead
- jet-punk likes this
- taakatoke likes this
- bullcheat reblogged this from totallyvintage
- totallyvintage reblogged this from grrrlism
- hiyalaurenxo reblogged this from riotgrrrlsnotdead and added:
- hazymazes reblogged this from jet-punk
- jet-punk reblogged this from slut-kissgirl
- moon00bits likes this
- pinkfairyarmadillo likes this
- grrrlism reblogged this from slut-kissgirl
- rancidchild likes this
- paperdollbones likes this
- daisyxhopkins likes this
- technicolourteacup likes this
- riotgrrrlsnotdead posted this